An excellent way to increase your disability insurance quotes is to target a professional association. Nearly every industry and profession has its own association–dentists, physicians, attorneys, nurse practioners, architects to name a few.
Professionals in these associations are usually high-earners, who are established in their careers and have a strong desire to protect their incomes. They present a good opportunity for disability income sales. Aligning with one professional association is an excellent way for you to become the trusted advisor within this occupation. As you work with clients in the same industry, you learn about their compensation packages, their financial needs and the carriers that are the best fit for the profession.
So, how do you align yourself with a professional association? Here are some tips for getting started:
- Identify a profession. The medical market is one of the easiest to sell to because they understand the risk of disability; however, it is also one of the most competitive markets. If you choose the medical market, consider an ancillary health care industry such as physical therapists, or certified nurse anethestists to name a few or choose a non-health related industry such as attorneys or architects.You need to consider how well you know the industry and what you need to learn about it to reach out to the association’s inner circle .
- Make connections. Once you have identified the profession, begin to make connections with people working in the industry. Find out what professional associations they belong to and what benefits the membership provides. Once you identify the association, begin to get involved. Sponser an event or member meeting, buy ad space in the member directory, choose opportunities that will get you in front of the leadership.
- Explain member discounts for disability insurance quotes. Professional organizations are alway looking for ways to bring more value to the membership. Let the decision makers know you can offer members quality disability income products at greatly discounted rates.
- Make a presentation to the board. Make a compelling case to the board. Present the advantages of providing an association discount to the membership for disability income. Work with your disability income wholesaler to help with talking points regarding the product. Your wholesaler can also provide you with the carrier’s association guidelines and an application.
- Market the product to the membership. Once your association is approved to provide disability income to the membership, it’s time to sell the advantages to the members. Send a letter to members introducing yourself and the discounted rates for disability income quotes available to them by virtue of their membership in the association. Advertize in the association’s newsletter and any other collateral pieces sent to the membership. Send out email blasts to the members. Ask your member clients to refer you to other members. In time, you will become the go-to person among the membership for disability income quotes.
- Provide additional value. Once you have built up your individual disability quotes, you can also introduce business overhead and buy-sell disability to members who are business owners. You will become the trusted advisor within the association who provides comprehensive solutions.
When you have established yourself as the disability income expert in an association, you will reap the benefits. It’s a great way for you to gain an insider’s view of the industry. You will understand the needs and financial challenges your clients and prospects face, which leads to better solutions and stronger relationships.
Contact Steve Crowe at ext. 222, Ellen Crowe at ext. 223 or Brian Hettmansberger at ext. 230 for quotes, tools and sales strategies. Also try our online quote request tool.