You may be missing an easy disability income sale. Many financial advisors suggest that they do not offer disability income protection to their existing clients because they already have coverage through their employers. Savvy advisors see this as a true opportunity.
- The client recognizes the value of disability income provided by their employers
- Yet, they are typically unaware of the shortcomings of group long term disability (LTD).
In addition to shortcomings such as direct integration, taxable benefits and lack of portability, clients are often unaware group LTD benefits are capped.
The group LTD plane serves as an excellent starting point to introduce individual disability income.
- Commend them for having disability income protection
- Offer to review the existing plan to determine if it’s offering the necessary protection
- Ask for a declaration page of their existing policy
With some basic client information and the policy declaration page, a disability income specialist at Source Brokerage, Inc. can conduct a complete policy review and offer recommended changes.
A typical example:
Client: Female executive, age 40, earning $100,000 and $25, 000 annual bonus.
Current Coverage: 60% of salary with $10,000 cap.
Client’s current coverage offers a taxable $5,000 monthly benefit. Additional non-taxable individual disability income coverage of $3300 monthly benefit available to cover the income gap.
If you want to target an Easy DI Sale — the Group LTD review is the easiest way to immediately increase your individual disability income sales – work with your existing book of business to provide proper income protection.
Need a group LTD review for your clients?